Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Writing as a Mode of Learning


The notion that “writing is a process” seems to have become the motto of many composition instructors.  The question that this motto suggests is – a process for what?  A process for producing a research paper?  For writing online blog responses?  For composing a business resume?  Do we grade our students based on what they produce, or do we grade them based on their participation in the process?  Do the ends justify the means, or do the means justify the ends?  Emig’s article seems to suggest that we take a step back and view writing as a practice that we use not only to develop our composition and rhetoric skills, but as an undertaking which can help us to learn – period.
            I often tell my students that if I could make them read all through class and simply assign different readings as homework, they would ultimately learn infinitely more than what I teach them in class.  I honestly believe this to be true.  The act of reading seems to act somewhat subconsciously upon us, and we learn and develop almost without noticing.  What I believe Emig is suggesting in this piece is that writing functions in a similar manner.  Writing provides students with a mode or method of thinking that is alternative to internal thought or even peer to peer discussion.  I have found that brief writing exercises at the beginning of my classes allows students to get their thoughts up and running, and makes the ensuing discussion much more productive.

No comments:

Post a Comment