Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The Phenomenology of Error


As much as I try to avoid it, and as much as I hate myself for it, I am often “that guy” who automatically – and usually unintentionally – corrects someone’s grammar when they are speaking.  Usually it is stuff that just hits the ear wrong, like using “good” when “well” is the correct option.  This is rather ironic, because I do try to stress to my students that there is a difference between spoken and written language, and that many of the idiosyncrasies that we attempt to avoid when writing are acceptable when speaking.  I also attempt to explain that grammar is a constantly shifting entity and that good grammar alone does not make for good writing.
I really enjoyed how Williams framed his article as a meta-text in which a variety of grammar “errors” were purposefully inserted.  It seems to be the perfect exercise for demonstrating that good writing is not necessarily linked to perfect, or even consistent, grammar usage.  Williams is able to clearly and concisely make his argument while including a variety of grammar errors, which while it may distract those who are given to nitpicking, ultimately proves that good writing does not have to necessarily rely on perfect grammar.
I plan on using (parts) of this article in my composition classes next semester.  I believe that by introducing students to these concepts early on in the semester, much of the pressure and concern they have for grammar correctness will either be dissolved or perhaps, and better yet, put in a more productive context.

No comments:

Post a Comment