Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Community-based Assessment Pedagogy


I have always had a strong dislike for grading systems, both for their inflated nature and the stress and preoccupation they cause in students.  I really enjoyed reading about Inoue’s approach because it seemed to solve a number of the issues I was having in my composition classes, not only in regards to grades, but also concerning student interest and participation in the classroom.  It seems that theoretically Inoue’s approach would allow for a much more relaxed classroom atmosphere in which students are stripped of the urge to ask questions about how much a certain assignment is worth or stress over producing the kind of work they believe the teacher desires.  
Furthermore, given that students have such a hands-on approach to constructing and even deconstructing each writing assignment, students would perhaps be able to better understand why a particular task or project has been assigned to them.  In my own classes, I attempt to talk with my students about why I have assigned each writing, and what I hope they get out of them.  I stress the importance of process over product, at least for our purposes.
While I like that it seems that this approach would take some of the pressure off of the instructor, both in regards to grading load and assignment creation, it makes me question the exact nature of the role the teacher would come to play in the classroom.  Inoue quotes Condon and Butler as remarking “If you leave this course dependent on the teacher to tell you what your writing needs, then this course has failed in its mission.”  I feel that this is a very lofty goal to meet; everyone has questions and concerns about their writing, from freshman to tenured professors.  I think I might be interpreting this a little too literally, however.  Perhaps the comment means that the community-based methods allows students to develop independence and the ability to work with others, aside from their instructor, in improving their writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment